Friday, May 30, 2008

Two Summer Movies

Prince Caspian and Indiana Jones. Both let me down. Or maybe its me who should be letting down some standards, heh. Still, if you're riding on a big budget (Caspian was made for somewhere around $200 million, Indiana for $185 million) one ought to expect something...big.

Still, they were decent enough movies, but I suppose if we were to follow last year's example, it wasn't really that good either (even though the budgets for the last year's trio of trilogy-completers were much much bigger).

But enough talk about finances.

The Second Installment of The Chronicles of Narnia was, on comparison, surprisingly more exciting than Indy. Or maybe it was just more eye candy, and Jones was more story oriented. And I guess that's the problem with Caspian- it's too thin a story. Come to Narnia, meet people, fight, fight, fight and go back. I found The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe much more entertaining for the simple reason that it had many more layers to it. But perhaps, as some noted, it's the source material. Still, Prince Caspian isn't all that bad and wouldn't bore the little ones as much as, say, Indiana Jones. I'm waiting for the Voyage of the Dawn Treader now, and then we'll have people start pointing out how it's so similar to Pirates of the Caribbean, heh.

As for Indiana Jones...there's not much I can say. I enjoyed the three movies (although I can barely remember The Last Crusade) but then again, they're not all that great. It's simple, kooky fun at best and I suppose this installment delivers. Still, for a movie so many years in the making, the final product is a bit of a let down. But then again, expectations tend to rise above what a movie has to offer, ultimately.

Still, good try from Spielberg and Lucas.

And now I wait for the next summer wave: Hulk, Hancock, Hellboy and...The Dark Knight. ALL of them Superhero movies. Let's hope at least half of them (especially the latter) deliver.

No comments: