Friday, December 31, 2010

Old Year/New Year

This year passed exceptionally quickly. It could be many things, probably how my life has settled into routine, probably because the days have literally begun to become shorter (actually, it is likely because the older you get the faster your perception of time becomes).

I remembered I made some resolutions about one year ago today. Well, I can't remember them now except one, which was to read 100 books for this year. So naturally, I haven't fulfilled it but I did get pretty darn close (97% hah!). I could have cheated with some quick reads, but decided to plod it through some challenging and fascinating tomes (I'm currently a little ways through The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, one of the most enjoyable works I've had the pleasure to read).

Work has taken a whole lot of time from my other pursuits, but I've begun to manage. Spend less time on the PC, I've found, and you have a lot of time for other things. I don't mind this, considering that the PC is my job and by the time I get back I'm sick of it.

One thing I would like to work on for the next year - more writing (or writing more?). My efforts at stories longer than a few thousand words have never taken off and I recall now a writer's all too true observation that novels are a voracious eater of ideas - you run out of them very quickly.

Another curious thing is how I find movies less and less entertaining. Or maybe I've spoiled myself on too much classics and coupled with the lower quality of movies released this year. I have a dozen or so "critically acclaimed" movies sitting in my hard disk that I've yet to watch, so we'll see.

And yes, my project idea still remains fresh in my mind. I conceived it back in 2008 and once I collect enough funds, will get it started in early 2012. So next year will be just sitting back in my already comfortable job, getting the monthly paychecks and dreaming of a better life. Ah, if only.

No comments: