Sunday, March 31, 2013

To Die, And Rise Again

Another Easter, another mandatory reflection. Less formal and thesis-based, more stream of consciousnesses.

Resurrection of Jesus is celebrated, but implications largely ignored. God dies and lives, for us, 2000 or so years ago. Long time, but...just...imagine what that means. No, but work is much more important and life defining - putting the bread on the table > taking the Bread of Life.

Jesus has risen - in my heart. Thankfully I haven't heard that in a long time.

Jesus hasn't risen. All the time, comfortingly. And then I get to explain why, in fact, I think he did. Easter a pagan celebration Christians, didn't you know? It's true most of them don't. History hasn't been our forte. But then again, who really likes history.

You know Jesus, but do you really know Jesus? Yes, faith in Jesus as historical figure or as God who rose from the dead vs. Jesus as my personal Saviour and someone who I know intimately are two different things.  (But why not both?) Problem is I can't "know" Jesus the way I know my earthly father. Those who say they can I envy. Or maybe not. There is a fine line between closely connected to God and mental institution candidate. (Blessed are those who do not see, but believe)

God is silent, His last great display of fireworks two millennia ago (I put it crudely). But that's just me; people can settle for smaller miracles to affirm and confirm their faith. But two thousand years ago, to the faithful Jews, God was silent too but yet they waited patiently for their Saviour to come.

As we now wait.

No comments: