Friday, August 29, 2008

The State, Power, Study, Others.

My friend asked me why anyone would want power and not relinquish it. Obviously he has not been or spoken with a politician. Anyone who has a certain amount of power eventually gets addicted to it. Relinquishing an addiction is not easy, of course.

I've been thumbing through Johnson's Wild Grass as light reading, and the stories in there are certainly thought provoking and tear jerking. How could the government - even in a so called progressive nation - be that bad?

If there's one thing we can deduce, it's that not everyone has a good nature. Or perhaps it's just that people are afraid, afraid of change. Afraid of losing something they've always had for a long, long time. I need to read more. There's no other way for me to find out; armchair reasoning can only get you so far, after all.

Currently working my way through a history of SEA. Made up of two volumes, but then the 1400s don't really interest me. But of course, history never bores me. =)

By the way, Swinburne's Existence of God is unintentionally hilarious; I had to reread each sentence thrice. But clearly its not quite layman level reading, so yes, I must grant that. Interesting nonetheless. My background in logic is unfortunately pitiful (I never got beyond an education in informal logic), which certainly doesn't help.

One and a half months to go before we climb Mount Kinabalu. I'm quite excited; although I'm sadly still trying to fine-tune my fitness plan. *Sigh* Give me self-discipline, but not yet!

No comments: