Thursday, November 13, 2008

Draft: 2

I realize that when writing a long story (and by long story I mean a piece in excess of 10K words) one cannot depend on spontaneity (which I rely on a lot) to drive the story on. It is not just you having an idea what to write (or for that matter, an entire outline of your story in hand). For me, I find that even with the framework set up it does get tedious for me to fill it in.

As such I stall, way too often. I have since discarded the "instinct" and outline approach to writing, and adopted a keyword approach wherein I build up my story based on certain key sentences (much like how some filmmakers who adapt comics base their storyboard on select panels).

I have yet to see if this will work, considering that I am working on a few stories that are progressing too slowly. I might just revert to writing 1K+ pieces and see how it goes. One good way to cheat is to write a serious of short stories and claim it as a novel. I find the end result too fragmentary and disjointed - obviously.

Ultimately, I realize I need inspiration. My usual sources are books - fiction and non-fiction (I find that both inspire me in different ways), movies, stories as told by other people etc.

I might need to travel a bit. It never hurts, yes?

No comments: