Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Daydream nation.

Currently juggling literature, history, philosophy, theology all at one go. As usual. In my readings of Japanese fairy tales, I can't help but note the marked contrast with say, that of Aesop or the sanitized tales from Old Europe. But I suppose that's the keyword, sanitized. Consider this story, which puts many a Hollywood tale of vengeance to shame.

But really, besides that, most tales lack what some would call coherence. But again, I view this from a (Western?) perspective where characters have motivations and purposes and plots have tidy endings. Some of the stories (Japanese) that I've read are rather baffling - with one part seemingly having no connection to another.

I've begun on theology again, after a long while. Looks like I'm slowly working my way from burn-out. I'm pretty much fed up with most of the churches I've attended - and as a result my empathy with the emergent critique on today's mainline evangelical churches has increased. But throughout the years, oh, about five of them, my theology hasn't quite budged. Perhaps my empathy/sympathy for other perspectives have. But that's healthy, I think.

This is still my model of a comprehensive confession of faith which I subscribe to, and probably won't change anytime soon.

No comments: