Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Misc. - 2/3/10

Well, now that the wrath of politicians and certain consumers are directed towards Toyota, Honda and now GM is into the recall business. Looks like it's an okay thing to do now that Toyota has come out. So what's the big issue? (Answer: There isn't.) It's not like Toyota is selling HIV infected blood and the good news for consumers is that they're going all out to win back the business.

College assignments are moving forward. Slowly. The nice part about writing about business but not actually doing it? You can pull "facts" out nowhere. Really, it's okay to do so. Call it best estimates and informed guesses. Some are writing about their own companies. I ground my work in the organization with the most information possible. Double the tedium as sources are external (if it's your own company, you're your own source) but I suppose actual learning is tripled.

I realize that sometimes you can't just know everything. I've been averaging 3 books a week, and while I can clearly see that my abilities to grasp certain issues have been getting better, I likewise can see more clearly that nothing beats going out and seeing/doing it. Indeed, in my 6 month stint at an MNC, I learned more about business than 3 years at college.

Parting note - I have an almost Hegelian obsession for synthesizing propositions. Which might be bad, but I still like the smug feeling it gives me to know that I am smarter than both sides. Try it sometime.

No comments: