Thursday, August 30, 2007

Cowboy Bebop

It's back! Anime reviews return, after a brief hiatus. I'll start with this, then more as time permits. Since I'll be having a one month long holiday which begins in a week's time, I will have the opportunity to clear up the huge backlog of unwatched anime (which I refer to as my "burden" hehehe).

Reviewing such a popular (and relatively old) anime such as this will be kinda pointless, right? So, I'll just throw in a few of my thoughts, and call it a review. (I'm not gonna do an intro here, just look at Wikipedia or something. Heh.)

Let's start with the bad parts of it. Firstly, the fact that there is very little continuity between episodes. Of course, this plays to its advantage sometimes, where it can jump to totally new and random stuff. But one gets a little lost, and tired. The plot only gathers up in the last two episodes. Obviously. Even then, the finale is lacklustre; too quick, too brief.

"Life is but a dream" is a common theme, though one gets confused whether characters like Spike (the main protaganist) holds it as metaphor or (ironically) as reality. Regardless, this theme is parroted often and not explained. Oh well.

The nice bits? Yes, there are quite a few. The humor tends to come in the right places, and the action is, well, good. I can only spout words like nice, good and great here. But never awesome or better, because (to me at least), it lingers in a pool of mediocrity that it only seldom gets out of. But when it does get out, it becomes way better.

Many people rate it as one of their best, which I don't get. Then again, people raved on the horrific FLCL, so that's subjectivity for you.

No comments: