Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Simpsons Movie

I love South Park. And I found Simpsons to be funny (the series, that is). Not because of their satire (although sometimes because of that), but because of their jokes and visual gags. Yes, that's true. I don't watch them to make fun of people and ideas (although that plays a part), and to tell you the truth, while I enjoy both South Park and Simpsons, I have rarely watched any of it. Only a few episodes here and there.

Well, the movie has come out and I suppose it took them long enough. And it sure is one of the best Simpson episode to date (if it were an episode).

Of course, much has been made of its satiric content, but while it pokes fun at the environmental movement ("An Irritating Truth"...hehe) and Christianity (Homer flipping through the Bible: "This book doesn't have any answers!), it doesn't go as far as to seriously comment on them. Of course, that might not be its purpose, but just throwing the dirt here and there left me feeling that they could have done so much more.

Not to forget the typical slapstick humor and running gags among others. Spider-pig is a lovely example.

The movie does lag in excitement (may I say, gets draggy) towards the middle section, but it picks up, and soon we have a somewhat satisfying and quite funny movie. My comment? Good enough. Which is, suffice to say, good enough.

No comments: