Monday, September 24, 2007

Black Lagoon: The Triviality & Meaning of Endless Gunfights

I've got to admit, being an intelligent person, I do not like to watch unintelligent stuff. Black Lagoon is most decidedly dumber than it admits (and it says it's quite smart, which I disagree). In between the cheeky Sartre and Heidegger references (and I loathe any show who tries to look smart by throwing about "deep terms" and smiling happily, thinking it's "serious"), we have the endless gunfights involving loads of blood (and a fair bit of gratuitous flesh displays) .

Ah, at least it is nihilistic both philosophically and morally.

Well, that's to say that it's consistent. Expect nothing but violence and deaths in between plots involving the mafia, yakuza and what not. (Even then, the plots are just a sideshow.) But I somehow found it entertaining. Yes, I like action. But action alone is all style and no substance. And that's how far the show goes, and that's how far you're gonna enjoy it, if you enjoy these things at all.



My final assessment would be less bright than my initial ratings (check out my Anime Seen account and the notes). I won't be changing my prior ratings though, I'm satisfied with it on a certain level, but this show does leave a rather unpleasant aftertaste. Yes, the taste of you having watched meaningless trash. For once I feel a sort of moral indignation.

_________________________

Note- This review covers both seasons of the anime series, Black Lagoon and Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage.

No comments: