Saturday, March 7, 2009

The appreciation of rest; a tiring game.

Up till last week I never really valued weekends, mainly because I had absolutely nothing to do besides house chores and my own independent projects*. That is, until I started work. Yes, work work work. My life has suddenly become busy, and honestly, I laugh at myself for suddenly overnight becoming the cliched white collar worker. My diary, once empty, is now filled with appointments, meetings &c. On any other day, I would have found that disturbing.

But even more disturbingly, I somehow found it fun. It is indeed a fun game (if I may use such an analogy) that requires skill, but also (all too typically) requires a fair amount of grinding. Levelling up, I suppose, is never easy.

So far I am enjoying it. Yes, there is a steep learning curve but I'll get used to it soon enough. But like all games, people get bored of it and either leave to something new (but may not necessarily be more interesting) or stay and keep playing a game that is boring simply because that is the only thing they know how to do and couldn't be bothered to learn something new.

I am learning a lot. But I must also learn to know when I am no longer learning, and move on.

All in a day's work.

___________________________________

* Including but not limited to watching movies, reading books, doing nothing and watching movies.

No comments: