Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Help thyself: shun thy weaknesses.

I've just finished a certain self-help book by Marcus Buckingham, one of the pioneers of the "Strengths-Based Movement". Of course, like all self-help books, this one claims to be different, and so it is.

The author claims that we should focus our attention on our strengths rather than our weaknesses and, most importantly, do tasks that play to our strengths and avoid ones that we are weak at (which, according to him, are defined as tasks that "drain us" or tasks that we "loathe").

This is quite cool. For example, I loathe maths and doing it drains me. Hence, I should avoid it whenever possible. Awesome, except I have to, like, do it nonetheless. *Sigh* Of course, much of what we says pertains to the working environment. But I reckon this can be applied to other non-workplace tasks.

So can this system be abused? The author seems to know that, but I guess he expects the best in people who read his book and wholeheartedly agree with and wish to apply its principles.

I'm not exactly one of them (I'm quite hesitant, even though his paradigm fits quite well with what I want!), so until then, I'm not gonna shy away from my weaknesses. At least, not just yet.

2 comments:

ethan said...

Good gosh. Why did you read that?

Daniel said...

Curiosity :P