Thursday, March 27, 2008

Criticism, pointless.

My brother and his schoolmates have a project: they're writing a critique of The Golden Compass entitled, oddly enough, "The Silver Compass". I find that particularly bizarre; a bunch of fifteen year olds critiquing a children's fantasy book for admirable but undoubtedly ideological purposes. I'm not sure how well versed they are in theology, which is always a prerequisite before engaging in apologetics.

Of course, since becoming a rather self-effacing Christian, I tend to keep as quiet as possible about such matters. But ah, being approached for help on their project, I didn't quite mind after all (it's gonna get published...if it's good). Either way, I don't lose anything (I'm gonna hide behind a pseudonym, hehehe) and it helps if someone who actually knows what to do is involved.

Apparently it's going to be a serious book. I suggested something more funny. But I would suppose they want it to be serious.

But remember, most people (except those convinced) balked at critiques of, say, The Da Vinci Code. Someone commented that those books made a good doorstop (then again, most litcrit tomes make good ones as well). In a sense, they're kinda pointless to people who are wise enough to not take such works of fiction seriously.

But of course, there's always the not so privileged minority.

I would say that writing such a book is pointless. You're just preaching to the choir. Maybe a few children might better informed, and some might think that that is worthwhile.

Methinks 50,000 words are better spent on a pure presentation of the Gospel, and not wasted on attacking a book about golden compasses, young heroines and talking polar bears.

Oh, if you still don't understand why I want to use a pseudonym, check out the "official" website here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I don't get is why are you lending them your time and energy for this project when you clearly don't buy all that nonsense.

Daniel said...

I have something called sympathy, you know :P

(And it doesn't hurt to see yourself in print)