Monday, March 24, 2008

Opinions.

I realize that often my views on various issues and ideas differ radically from that of my peers. It is tempting to think of myself as the sole person who is "different", and the rest a uniform, machinelike mass.

Alas, that is not true. I have met people who are far stranger, far more ideologically divergent than anyone else I've ever met. I either respect or loathe them, depending on what kind of view they hold. I'm sure that's what some people might think of me. They might either like or dislike me, depending on my opinions. I am rarely bothered. And although I would love to expound them to others who hold different positions, I hardly do so. People don't like their worldviews to be shaken, their beliefs questioned. I am too people pleasing in that respect.

If someone wishes to differ with me, I am all for a good conversation. I try not to carry out such conversations verbally, for the simple reason that while explaining ideas orally is popular, it is not the ideal platform for the discussion of ideas (which would be the written word). As such, I always try to shun verbal debate, preferring writing as the optimal means for such important matters.

Anyway. How do I form my opinions? Thinking and reading. Yes, the cart of thought before the horse of ideas, but almost always that's how I form my opinions. Sure, I must have some idea of what to think about. Most people build upon prior ideas; the roots of many modern beliefs (say, Darwinism) preempted many years prior to the person they were named after. Of course, there must be a root to such ideas, which cannot extend ad infinitum.

I find that most of my ideas come to me unaided. I am trying to distance myself from that means now, and turning more to what others say, and pondering on their thoughts. This might mean that I am not wholly original. Still, ideas sometimes come out of thin air for me, and for that I am certainly grateful.

It's almost comedic (I would say it makes an interesting case study) when someone vehemently defends an opinion, no matter how flimsy. You wonder how the human mind can so efficiently delude itself. And yet, it happens. Of course, thinking of someone as "wrong" presupposes that you are "right". That's inevitable.

There is an arrogance ascribed by our westernised society to the assertion "I am right". The application of that rule is inconsistent however. Politicians like Bush are chided, Clinton not. Both are equally arrogant, although it is clear that one cannot claim arrogance of that person when he or she holds the same views you do.

I try to be right about most things (although I do shy away from things I have not a clue about). I don't think that makes me arrogant, only a little studious about making sure my beliefs correspond to reality.

Which is, in fact, a most noble task.

No comments: