Monday, March 31, 2008

Days of Heaven

I've been an admirer of Malick's films ever since I saw The Thin Red Line at the age of 12 and felt I was watching something special. Some might say that if you've seen one of his films, you've seen them all.

Still, there's no denying that they are good. He has made four feature films (another in production) and I've watched three. Days of Heaven is the third. It was the last movie he made for nearly 20 years. Cormac McCarthy called it "an awfully good movie."

As a movie it has been regarded as "great" by many reviewers. I don't quite share their opinion; I would say it's not as matured as the later Malick films. It contains some flaws, such as establishing the rhythm of a scene and dropping it so soon after you got the mood. But even for that, I'm not sure if that wasn't intentional.

I sure did enjoy it. It's meditative, it's poetic. But there is a thin line between pretty pictures and meaningful imagery; stale dialogue and verbal contemplation, and Days of Heaven awkwardly treads in between.

See some screenshots of the movie here (it won an Oscar for Best Cinematography).

P.S. This is is my 200th post. Whooo!!!

No comments: