Thursday, April 19, 2007

It's...Maths!

Rant on maths begins.



Yes, I survived accounting in college. But it's that time of the year where we begin...numeracy & statistics! Yep. But our college is a special one. Most of us just absolutely hate maths. We are allergic to it. Not fond of it all. Mortal enemies. So on and so forth.



Even our lecturer puzzled over how she was going to educate us. A bunch of people who have long forgotten most of their maths save the basic arithmetic.



So we learned algebra today. Yippee. One student started: "The horror...the horror!"



Indeed, although elementary algebra (I emphasize, elementary) is easy enough for me. So I, and most of us breezed through. Except for those who said "The horror!". Of course.



How annoying. How do we explain our fear of maths? (Anyone willing to think up an evolutionary explanation that would be worth putting into Steven Pinker's next book?)



Alright, explanations aside, I've been finding ways on how to overcome with. I've begun with geometry. Yes, that's a good way, no? Looked...easy enough. So far.



But I'm afraid of the unknown. Algebra II? Trigonometry? Calculus? Save us Lord.



Rant on maths ended.







No comments: