Sunday, July 22, 2007

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows

Note: This is a spoiler-free review.

From the promptness of this review, I'm sure you can deduce about two things. One, that I was one of the eager first to snag a copy of the book right on its opening date. True. Second, that I read it rather quickly. Yup.

Regardless, the air was filled with excitement, and I could see a long, expectant queue. When the doors opened, everyone rushed in- some went against the escalator- just to be the first to get their hands on a copy. And that was just in Tesco alone. ;)

Well, it's here. The final chapter, as it were. Perhaps your interest in the series might have faded, but still, I'm sure a lot of people will be eager to know what happens to our hero(es) in the end.

And it is remarkably satisfactory at that. Despite Rowling's penchant for long, draggy paragraphs and a somewhat anti-climactic finale, the final pages of the book does leave one with a sense of contentment, that all is said and done.

But of course, if you were turned off by the last few books (I was especially by the previous one) you might not enjoy this one a lot. Still, as I said earlier, you should perhaps read it to know what happens. I noticed, however, the pace in this book is somewhat faster than that of the previous ones, and it did manage to keep me much more interested.

The plot is not as tight as in the first few books, but here, you still keep guessing (though I suppose parts of the ending could already be guessed if you paid attention to the last book, especially). And everything falls into place nicely.

No comments: