Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Innocence Is Whitewashed Ignorance

I think the thought came to me, while I listened to my neighbour (a gal of around 8 or 9, I'm not sure) go into deep detail about a perfectly true story- which was basically about a girl in a hotel meeting up with a particularly nasty ghost.

Completely true, she assured me, and as I listened to her German accented speech (I had more fun trying to detect her accent than listening to her), I couldn't help but shake my head.

But she is young.

Call it innocence or ignorance. I don't know which is which, but for all intents and purposes, sometimes innocence is ignorance. Of course, the young ones might have not had much time to build up their repository of common sense. But some others (who I've met) who are older than me still display a cringe worthy naive view of the world.

Is innocence really bad? Some would just wish we had it. I mean, what if our founding father and mother had not eaten that fruit? Or perhaps knowledge would've been better. I take the latter, for in this world at least, ignorance is not bliss. No, far, far from it.

But everyone (except the insane, although it is debatable as to whether we are the insane ones) expects the youngest, most innocent children to grow out of it eventually. If you are 2, your "innocence" is laughed at and adored. On the other hand, if you were 22, you'd be considered retarded.

My apologies if you had a much higher view of innocence, but I think it is merely ignorance- polished and all dressed up. And anyway, we lost that darn "virtue" a long, long time ago.

No comments: