Wednesday, July 11, 2007

We Are Damned!

Us Prots, I mean. All them Baptists, Presbies, Lutherans, etc. are not the true church. So says the Roman Catholic church. But, really, it's nothing new.

So why does this warrant any comment? Well, first thing is to solidify the fact that us Protestants have been anathematized by the RC church for the umpteenth time, since ancient history. One wonders why we are so sure of our salvation when, according to the one true church, we are gonna burn in hell. One wonders.

Not that I greet this with derision and ridicule. They obviously have put a lot of thought into this (and other similar theological issues).

Of course, this would pose a setback to them ecumenicals. I must pity the ECT folk.  But again, let me take this time to heap praises onto Pope Benedict XVI and how he takes his theology seriously. No compromise with him. Nothing but clarity and absoluteness. I like his stance. Hehe.

But as I wrote about here a lot of times, one can never hope for absolute truth (in certain things) to be found here. Least of all this issue. This has reinforced the fundamentalists' notion of the RC church being Satan's wife.

So they are damned, and so are we. Mutual damnation is not exactly a promising or exciting prospect, but the truth is that only one can be right (or both wrong). Who knows?

Hence why we gotta start finding out now. I make a small request that many others would make. Educate our laity on this issue. I find it how most (Protestant) people I meet either think the Catholics are: Mary worshippers and basically unsaved or that they are on the same bus, only in different seats.

Or at least, the church that I attend ought to be talking more about these issues (and not relegate it to "classes"). After all, Catholics are the largest Christian denomination on Earth. And their HQ says we are not "churches". Perhaps our dear clergy could why, to everyone.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is just me and CS Lewis. But aren't we all in different rooms of the same house?

Daniel said...

Alas, like the blind men and the elephant analogy, this would be assuming we know what's in the entire house.