Thursday, June 28, 2007

Transformers

I think the question that might be in your mind is this: Is this a good movie?

Well, yeah, an obvious question. But more to the point: Is this a good movie considering that Michael Bay is directing it? Let's clear some things here- I have nothing against Bay. That said, I'm no big fan of him either.

I thought Armageddon was nice (and in this movie, he has the privilege of referencing it too. Wow.). And Pearl Harbor too. They were entertaining. But they could hardly be called "solid" movies. Style, yes. Substance? Er...definitely not.

Transformers is a Michael Bay movie through and through. Style (and more style) meets, uh, little substance. But it's probably his best one, ever. Really.

This is no character driven movie with a deep, complex, meaningful plot. It's a movie that is defined by its action scenes. And that's the only reason you should go for this movie. The action. The fights. The excitement.

Yes, it's entertaining. Unless you're put off by this sort of thing (I know quite a few people who would fall asleep watching this show). It's a fanboy's dream. It's cool, yeah.

I must hand it to Orci & Kurtzman here: They worked up a screenplay that's ended up like more of a very long fight sequence than a proper story. This is its weakness, and its greatest strength. Let's just say, the, explosions make up for almost all of its inadequacies.

No question here, this is a show that the boys (young, old) will enjoy. But I'm puzzled and concerned: Transformers happen to be action figures that are targeted toward children (of course, this is not to say that all who play and enjoy them are young children).

They must have made this movie for those who actually grew up with Transformers instead: I'm talking about those who hark back from the 80's. Because this movie is very, very intense in some parts. Too much so for the young ones, I would think.

Yes, even the action sequences become unintelligible at times. But that's the way it should be sometimes: chaotic.
As for me, I'm not complaining. =)


The Relaxed Moviegoer: A

The Thoughtful Critic: B-

No comments: