Saturday, April 5, 2008

The formation of a novel - Pt. 1

In attempting to write a truly long story (as in a work of fiction breaching 2,000 words), I've always encountered a major roadblock in that after that point, I lose all motivation and purpose completely. I certainly don't lack ideas; far from it, there's just too many that can't be written out.

So I realized that having clear, well defined ideas alone does not mean that you'd have no trouble writing out a complete story. I've been able to type out (usually in a single sitting) works of short, short fiction for the simple reason that I could focus that long. After that, I falter.

Nor is it the wordcount alone that is an obstacle (I've written numerous assignments that of lengths sometimes twice as much). I manage to reach that word count level simply because I leverage on other people's work. But when it comes to writing something by myself, it's another story.

Perhaps a solution could be to draw elements from others' work. I've done that on multiple occasions, but still, I only have the heart to imitate style and not content (copying the latter isn't a very noble thing, and it bespeaks of laziness on the author's part).

So what is the solution then to my so called writer's block. I'm still finding out. Willing to write alone is not enough. But it would be a shame to not write down the words to my thoughts and fantasies, even as I moan about my problems here.

No comments: