Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I try to appreciate movies.

I don't get why the critics fawn over movies like Citizen Kane or The Godfather. They are entertaining, but by no accounts did they blow me away. Perhaps I need to grow older.

Question time though: Why then do I actually find 2001: A Space Odyssey mind blowing, Vertigo thrilling and Casablanca brilliant? I usually put it down to subjectivity; preference.

But it is still hard to figure why the same critic can call all those movies "great". True, some are. But ah, not all.

I've been recently following a formula I followed to improve my writing. That is, by immersing myself into the cream of the crop of said art. Which means I've been watching a lot of what people call "great movies". Yes, by watching lots of good movies, perhaps I myself can improve my movie making skillz. Yup yup.

It's hard to distill a formula though. I've always been taken aback at how similar some Booker prize winning books are stylistically that I suspect there must be some algorithmic formula you could draw up that will ensure you will definitely win the Man Booker.

It's just that visual storytelling is an incredible rich and diverse art. True, most would say that literature has explored an ever vaster world (it has been around for a lot longer than movies) and that books can afford to be rambling and long (think Tolstoy or Proust!) while movies must always be short and succinct (no more than 3 hours, please, unless it's an art film or The Lord of the Rings).

It's even worse if you're trying to make a short film. Perhaps I should start watching more of them. Some of them -prize winning shorts, mind you- are so dull and unstimulating that you have to laugh.

I haven't made a lot of short films. What I've made are all, well, not so serious stuff (check out my Youtube link and you'll know why). I'm still looking for something serious to film. Even if it's a comedy, it still has to be serious.

I've in fact hashed out a rough screenplay for "Wirawan", where a motley group of young Bumiputera students gain incredible powers, and fight (among other villians) Makkal Sakti (a big, brawling Indian man) and homeless dogs. Subtle political commentary included.

Those who are interested, do e-mail me (you can find it in my profile). Malaysians of all races are welcome. I'm trying to get Chinese people to play the Wirawan, in fact.

WIRAWAN BOLEH!

Yeah, something along those lines.

No comments: