Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Rectangular Table: Some Thoughts

As you can see, there wasn't a roundtable in sight but there certainly was one in principle. It was interesting to hear the speakers wax eloquent about esoteric relevant subjects in Malaysia today. As the moderator, I frankly didn't do much.

The speakers on the other hand, sure took their time. But they did make it sound as fun as possible. And yes, I should have been a little more...strict. But why would I want to when we were obviously having so much fun?

Hehe, okay. I do know some of the audience members found it an absolute bore. The nature of the subject will make it such to quite a number of young people. The speakers sure did not do any dumbing dumb on their subjects, and that's a good thing. Jargon, unfortunately, inevitably alienates some people. Take for example, zoology and stuff like that. National Geographic made it palatable to the masses. But it was folks like Steve Irwin that made in involving- to the young and the old.

No, I'm not gonna say we need a Steve Irwin of politics here to interest the young and old. I'm saying we just need to make it more involving, and not just talk about it and hope people will get interested.

Still, I'm really happy with the organizers for getting this together and for offering me the role of moderator. I might not have done much, but I have certainly learned a lot. As for the rest, I'm quite certain there were quite a few who learned a thing or two from this event.

Anyway, you can find the pictures here. Lots of thanks to Ethan; they turned out better than I expected. :P



(From left to right) Lee Swee Seng, Edward Ling, Me, Bob Kee & KJ John

Yes, I know, I look enthusiastic. My friends can attest that this is a somewhat biased representation of my demeanor throughout the event.

1 comment:

Sivin Kit said...

Hi there .. I know these people. :-)