Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Good morning, 2008.

Good morning, I said to myself as I woke up. It's 2008. It doesn't feel like a New Year at all. It is, after all, not a special, natural phenomena, a New Year. It's a man made figment of imagination, if you will. An invention of convenience. On different planets a New Year comes rather early. So, nothing special.

Obligatory cynicism done with, I'm excited over the New Year. What lays in store? What new things are there, just waiting to be discovered? I can't wait. My policy of optimism stays. No, it's not that kind of smily face retarded cheerfulness you see in a retarded person (excuse my lack of PCness, but typing out "people with special and/or different mental abilities" is a tad bit too long) who smiles away without a worry in a world. Well, they usually do.

No, my optimism is a one grounded in the fact that doomsday hasn't come yet despite predictions that it is just a few years away, since the beginning of civilization. 2012 is the next big date, and 2008 means there is (gasp) only four more years to go! Sell your house, lose your virginity (speaking of sex, our Health Minister realizes that time is short! Follow his healthy example!)...quickly, people!

But ah, four more years is a long time. There will be time for at least two more James Bond movies (and Transformers 2, thank goodness). A lot of time to enjoy life. So, best be starting on your enjoying yourself. Eat, drink and be merry (but not too much, because we're not dying just yet).

Oh, but I've digressed.

New Year's Eve passed, and I was sitting there at the stroke of midnight, listening to a sermon. What better way, after all, than to celebrate the New Year in the house of the Lord? A very nice place to be if the rapture happened. But, sadly, it didn't. There's always next year, though.

Okay, now to mellow down a bit.

Have I made any New Year's resolutions? Sure I have. But I never keep them anyway. One of them would be to write one post for every day of the year this year. But I'm not sure if I can do that. Well, I'll at least try for double the amount I wrote last year. That's still quite a sum, but I must still try.

And to my horror and frustration, I realized I haven't narrowed down a specialized field of interest to study in yet. I think my worst fears are beginning to come true: I'm interested in everything and anything. Well, not quite everything. But a whole lot of stuff. Right now I'm currently...um...reading in the field of history, along with a dash of classical lit. And I fine the former absolutely fascinating. I think I wanna be a historian or something (good grief). The last thing I want to be known as is a jack-of-all-trades. Sounds so retarded, since I'm gonna be a master of none (Of course, that saying may very well be bull's excrement. Who knows?)

One more thing I've noticed in my pysche: I'm started to lose touch with my so called "spiritual self" a.k.a. inner man a.k.a. spirit man (depending on what pentecostal chuch you're attending). This is not to say I'm losing my faith. Maybe I am, but I hope not. Is this what happens when you are an INTJ (darn profiling)? I hope not.

Suffer, if you will, for a brief sermon. No wait. Don't suffer. Sermon's need not inflict torture. They are a useful tool, and I say to myself why don't we just preach the gospel as Jesus preached it (repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand) rather than pouring down the 4 Steps (er...something like that) and Sinner's Prayer schlock down people's throats.

Of course, our modern day teenagers raised up on whatever you wish to call it (MTV, Facebook, Starbucks, Honey Stars etc.) will be unable to comprehend a "literal" presentation of the gospel and any of its soteriological content whatsoever. That said, Cliff's Notes ain't the real thing. In fact, it's not even the original Cliff's Notes. It's the dumbed down, chopped up, wishy washy, squish squash, tish tosh version of it (And I got that from someone. I don't make up such ludicrously childish sentences, believe me).

For God so loved the world ergo he gave his son to die ergo believe him ergo you will be saved. I'm sorry, but that's just not quite enough to sum up the religion you're about to associate yourself with. It's much more complex. Membership forms for cyber cafes contain way more clauses and caveats. Good grief.

Irony of a non-religious person sermonizing aside, perhaps we should start thinking a little bit more. Critical thinking (and common sense, if you must) would be helpful, it that's not too much to ask. We have been endowed with brains by God, no?

Oh, I have written too much but said too little. Next time. As I try to hit 366 posts for this year. Wish me luck. And a Blessed New Year.

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments: